Some easy steps to protect your websites and emails from hackers
You might be aware that globally there have been increasing numbers of hacking incidents.
Recently, lots of Nepali sites specially trekking websites are being hacked and some have even faced financial frauds.
So, we at Moksha Design Studio have prepared a set of security strength checklist for website and email accounts. We strongly recommend you to take some time to take this steps to be safe from unwanted damage on your website, brand and company itself.
1. Use strong password.
Use complicated and unique passwords for each account. Don’t use same password for multiple accounts. Using a password again and again for multiple accounts, no matter how strong it can be, can open you up to other attacks. If one account is breached, that means others could be too.
We know that it is hard to remember complicated passwords, so we suggest to use password managers. There are lots of popular password manager apps and websites out there. You can use any of them. We have listed some of the popular ones below:
2. Don’t use cracked softwares and unknown browser extensions
3. [ important ] Setup two-factor authentication on your online accounts
- Microsoft Authenticator (iPhone | Windows Mobile 10 | Android)
- Authy 2-Factor Authentication (iPhone | Android)
4. System Update
5. Suspicious emails and links
6. Mac users! Don’t believe in myth that mac won’t get virus.
Mac can be affected by virus, ransomware and malware. You can use any paid Antivirus solutions for your system such as Kaspersky, Bitdefender, etc.
7. HTTPS on your website
Use HTTPS on your website. It protects you and your visitors from Man in the Middle attack. Also, HTTPS is ranking factor on SEO. If you are not sure how to install SSL certificate on your website, you can always contact your hosting provider to install SSL certificate.
8. Uninstall JAVA or Adobe flash
9. Use an ad-blocker
Installing an ad-blocker to your browser, like Microsoft Edge, Apple Safari, Mozilla Firefox or Google Chrome, can help significantly reduce the number of tracking cookies that get installed on your computer. There has been number of cases where malwares were being spread through ads.
You can use any of the following ad-blockers for your browser:
10. Free Wi-Fi
11. Email hosting
We strongly recommend you to stop using Outlook as it is a desktop software and if your computer is hacked then accessing your outlook software becomes easier.
- Independent email service has their own security implementations such as 2 factor authentications, email controls.
- Better interface than web mail. You can easily do basic things such as attaching document which is horrific in webmail.
- Independent email services are pay as you go. You will require to pay per user. It depends upon service you use. For example: Zoho allows you to add 25 email addresses. More than 25 email address, you will require to pay on Zoho.
- Email space. Though web mail allows you unlimited space for your emails, it uses space provided for your hosting. However, other email services are independent of hosting space. They don’t use any of the space allocated for hosting. Different email services provide different starting space. For example: Zoho provides you 5GB space per email address.